ClearSafariCache.sh Stuck

• Problem seems to be solved. I deleted Cookie Application and associated folders and files, rebooted computer, and reinstalled Cookie. I still have only three of the 5 scripts listed a being in the com.sweetpproductions.Cookie5 Folder, but clear safari cache no longer hangs.

• I spoke too soon. Less than 24 hours after reinstalling Cookie 5, Cookie once again gets stuck on clearSafariCache.sh. Any more suggestions?

• ok try this:
    navigate to the Applications Script folder
    ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.sweetpproductions.Cookie5

then open Terminal.app
    type cd then drag the scripts folder onto the terminal, and press RETURN
    then type these 3 commands, each followed by pressing RETURN:

chown :staff clearCookies.sh
    chown :staff clearSafariCache.sh
    chown :staff clearSafariHistory.sh

also the extra scripts are only needed if you have Safari Technology Preview Installed.
    can you let me know if that works

• That seems to have done the trick. I can quit safari and Cookie empties the cache without any problem.
    The chown command changed

[email protected] 1 ronaldgold  admin   47 Feb  7  2016 clearCookies.sh
    [email protected] 1 ronaldgold  admin  119 Nov 18 08:04 clearSafariCache.sh
    [email protected] 1 ronaldgold  admin  159 Feb  7  2016 clearSafariHistory.sh

to

[email protected] 1 ronaldgold  staff   47 Nov 18 08:04 clearCookies.sh
    [email protected] 1 ronaldgold  staff  119 Nov 18 08:04 clearSafariCache.sh
    [email protected] 1 ronaldgold  staff  159 Nov 18 08:04 clearSafariHistory.sh

• perfect!
    im not sure why they are installing with the wrong permissions to begin with,
    but thats great its a simple fix.

• I deleted Cookie and all associated files and scripts, reinstalled and still experienced the clearSafariCache.sh endless process. I then searched the forum and found your "chown " workaround which did the trick. Hopefully this is a temporary fix to be corrected in some future release, yes?

• perfect,

Im not sure why the files are installed with the wrong permissions. but ill look into it.

• The clearSafariCache.sh endless process has returned despite changing permissions as you described previously. Permissions are:

[email protected] 1 cj  staff   47 Nov 18 08:04 clearCookies.sh
    [email protected] 1 cj  staff  119 Nov 18 08:04 clearSafariCache.sh
    [email protected] 1 cj  staff  159 Nov 18 08:04 clearSafariHistory.sh

Even with Safari quit if I run Cookie and then quit Cookie the endless process returns. I have removed Cookie from StartUp Items for the time being in the hope you can find a permanent solution to this problem.

• are you using the Mac App Store, or the version from my store @pumpkin?

• Purchase directly from you april 30, 2016. Order #27069. Current rev 5.2.1.

• have you tried a computer restart?
    that can sometimes fix strange issues like this

• Not wanting to jinx anything but I did a reboot and so far all is well!

• I have got the same problem and found a solution: Change the script clearSafariCache.sh from

find /private/var/folders \! -name "*SafariTechnologyPreview*" -name "*com.apple.Safari*" -exec rm -r {} \;

to

find /private/var/folders \! -name "*SafariTechnologyPreview*" -name "*com.apple.Safari*" -exec rm -r {} \; 2>/dev/null

Because the original script throws "Permission denied" errors and therefore opens the file descriptor stderr, it seems that the parent process (com.apple.foundation.UserScriptService) can't close it as long as a file is open.

• Thanks ralf!

I'll update the script to your solution.
    🙂